Thursday, July 20, 2006

Part of My Past

At one time in my life, I wanted more than anything to sing opera professionally. I had a gift and felt like I could make something of my life using that gift. I trained (not as much as I should have, I wasn't that driven) and even got into a music conservatory. Now, when I say I got into a conservatory, it was definately not Juilliard or the New England Conservatory of Music but when I just googled music conservatories, the school I attended was second on the list (not that it means anything). I wanted to dress in ridiculous costumes and wear too much makeup. I wanted to use my dramatic personality for good and not for evil. I was caught up in the glamour and sophistication. I wanted curtain calls and roses delivered to my dressing room. I wanted to move people to tears.

I have to say that I honestly don't know what happened other than God had a different plan for my life. More accurately, I was scared of not actually being good enough to make it and so it was easy to "blame it" on God's plan and not work hard enough to be successful. I was 18 and I wanted to play with my friends not study the stupid piano or learn music theory(how I regret not doing these things). I've always had a good story when people ask why I didn't pursue it. I can honestly say now that most of my decisions were made out of fear. I hate that about myself. I hate that I let my fears drive my decisions rather than honor God by being fearless. I know that I was given a natural ability to sing but my brothers were always hands down better musicians than I could have ever hoped to be (you should have heard either one of them play their chosen instruments back in the day). I was afraid that I would never be able to overcome my lack of natural musicianship, never be as good as them musically let alone all of the other people I was competing with in school. There has always been a joke in the music world that you can be a musician or you can be a singer. Never both. I was definately the singer.

In the last few days, as I've been giving Paula information for what I'm assuming is for my birthday, I've been mourning the loss of the career I didn't have. She wanted to know what my favorite song is. Simple question, right? Wrong! As a music lover, there is NO WAY you can pick one, but I immediately thought of an aria (I won't disclose in case it's part of a game or something. No questions, I promise, Paula). Everytime I hear this aria, I am moved to tears. As I've been thinking about this, accompanied with the knowledge that I'm about to turn 30, I wonder where I would be if I had finished my studies in music. As a Christian I can't discount God's hand in my life. I also cannot imagine my life without the move to Portland and knowing the people I know now. My life is forever changed because of my decision to leave the conservatory for both good and bad reasons.

I can't help but wonder what my life might be like today if I had not changed schools. I haven't thought about it much in the 11 years since I made this decision. I don't listen much to classical music because I begin to miss it and regret starts to creep in. I don't have many regrets in my life but when I sit down and think about it, I do regret this one at times. I try not to think about it and have avoided it as much as possible. When I do think about it, I begin to wonder where I would be living and what I might be doing. Would I have made it professionally? Was I good enough? Could I be singing in opera houses around the world? Would I have seen Paris and London, New York City? Would people recognize me on the street? Could I pay my bills? Would I be driving something other than my 92 Corolla? Would I be a waitress still hoping to be discovered at the right place at the right time? Would I be happier? Would I be more fulfilled? Would I be considered successful by the world's standards? Would I have a relationship with God or would I have forsaken Him in order to move up the ladder of success? I knew even then that I was capable of turning my back on Him. One of the reasons that I left that world was because most people you interact with on a daily basis have no appreciation for opera. How many 18 year olds do you know that are passionate about Puccini and Mozart, Wagner and Rossini? Do you even know who they are (my family and Sarah Parker are not allowed to answer this question)? In many ways, I felt like an outsider and I was desperate to fit in. When I moved to Portland, there were even fewer people around me who had any kind of understanding or appreciation for opera so I put this part of my life on a shelf. I never gave a recital in college even though I planned two and came up with great excuses both times. I came very close my senior year but my voice teacher left unexpectedly. If I really wanted to do it, I could have. In post-music life, I still never really fit in. My voice was difficult to blend because it was big, there was a definite classically trained sound that didn't work for a small group trying to sing contemporary worship music. I only really got to showcase my talent on the few occasions that a soloist was needed with the choir. I wish that, though I decided to give it up as a career, I would have continued to persue it for personal enjoyment. I wish I would have chosen to continue to train and coaxed friends into going to see the Portland Opera perform each season, just to give them the experience (even if they didn't like it). I wish I had given myself a little more credit and not been embarrassed by the voice God gave me. I wish I had enough confidence to develop the gift I had been given. I hated the people who came across so arrogant about their talent and didn't want to be one of those people so I, in many ways, stepped into the background and didn't acknowledge this part of who I am.

The impending big 3-0 has unleashed all of the pent up emotion and desire about this long lost passion of mine. Who knew that Paula asking me a simple question about my favorite song would open up so much inside of me that I didn't realize was being stifled for so many years? I am going to proudly embrace this part of myself without apology! While I can never attain the career that could have been, there are many ways to feed this part of my soul and I'm gonna! I am going to blast operas when I'm at home, I'm going to save up my money and buy tickets to the opera and I may even start taking voice lessons again! Maybe I'll get up enough guts to audition for the Portland Opera chorus or a community choir!

Thank you Paula for asking me about my favorite song.

11 comments:

Paula said...

Wow-- I hope you don't have to go through something like that with every question! Maybe there is a reason God is bringing this all to the front of your mind... who knows, but I'm glad you're having these revelations. You are so talented. And I've always loved singing with you!
Remember that one time when we went to see an Opera together? It was so great! I loved it! I laughed out loud! And the singers were amazing. I would go with you again any time! Maybe next time you visit, we could arrange a trip to the Seattle Opera. That would be fun!

Tim said...

Rebecca was the better singer. If it weren't for her, I would have never joined choir in high school, especially having been in band so long.

I look at my french horn every once in a while (which is really quite crappy...there's a reason I played the school instrument and not mine) and wonder what would have happened if I would have gone to a state school or that one music conservatory instead of Cascade.

Remember, it's pronounced Vagner (a as in father), not Wagner (a as in bag), or as Paula would say WAYgner. (a as in lame).

Mike Lewis said...

Rebecca,

I think we all have "wonders" about the past. I too wonder about my decision to leave the big time music scene...I wasn't THAT good. I always wished I was better at the baffoon too. I wonder even today about my voice...if it's any good. I get the feeling it isn't many days when I don't get asked to sing at important events.

Think where would I be right now if I hadn't gone to 'Da Cade. No Janna. No Madeline. No Jordan. No ministry. No friends.

Just a 30 year old hermit still living at home or in some dungeon apartment (well some things still happen...we really need a house). Maybe still stuck in Stockton. You know me...I didn't have much courage to get out and have fun. I was always at home in the evenings unless I had Band practice or a concert.

Paula said...

Tim: UR Layeme. Also, are you going to write back to my email or what?

Tim said...

What email?

Tim said...

Oh that email.

Jason Hill said...

So many parts of your story ring as clear as a bell with me. 19 is a young age to exhibit world-class discipline on one’s instrument. A feat I never mastered. I spent 4 years in school feeling like everyone with an important opinion didn’t think my voice was very good, and I didn’t even go to a fancy conservatory. But enough about me.

I’ve never really heard this whole story before, thank you for sharing it. I get the feeling that God’s priorities, like keeping you from living a life without Him, over-shadowed your musical ambitions. For this you should not feel regret. I’d choose broke, God-following Rebecca over waiting-tables-while-hoping-to-be-discovered-with-no-time-for-God Rebecca any day.

You are a wonderfully talented person. I would totally come to any recital of yours. You should absolutely take up voice lessons again and give one. Or join that opera choir—you have the chops, (and I’ll be in the front row, getting all teary eyed, cheering you on).

Alan said...

Rebecca...as you recall I was going to be a history perfessor. I've spent the last 30 years suffering crappy jobs. One thing you can take to the bank. You, Tim, and Mike are the greatest part of my life. I better mention your Mother too. To top it off, you have greater talents than I.

Daddio

Sarah said...

Oh Rebecca,

This post kinda made me cry a little. I remember doing that one piece with you - wasn't it a movement from the Coffee Cantata? and your voice was gorgeous. I don't remember voices as a general rule but I remember yours.

I guess I just want to say that I completely relate. I mean, I even went and got a freaking degree in piano performance and now I don't play anymore. And the longer I don't play the worse I sound when I try once every 6 months or so. It makes me cry everytime I think about it, so I don't let myself think about it very much.

But sometimes, when I'm driving to the grocery store alone and a piano piece that I know and love comes over the classical radio station, I just have to park and sob my heart out.

So I guess that probably wasn't very helpful except to say that I totally and completely understand your feelings.

(((hugs)))

rebecca marie said...

i hope this makes a difference.

i'm old enough that we weren't at school together, and opera isn't my thang. so had you not taken the path you've taken, i'd've never heard you sing at all. my life is richly blessed. richly. blessed. to have heard worship pour out of you in the form of song for the last four years.

i'm happy and sad for you. happy for you that you have this life, sad that you don't have that one.

Rebecca said...

Thank you for so many kind words and encouragement. I know that I am not alone in my wondering and "what ifs". I know we all have them. I know that my life is so wonderful because of the people in my life and the choice to be a follower of Christ. I have no doubt about that. I guess what I have learned is that I can embrace the life I've chosen and do what I can to feed this part of my soul that has been thirsty for too long.