Thursday, July 13, 2006

Registered

For a few years now I have joked that if I was unmarried by my thirtieth birthday, I was going to register for gifts. Please understand that while I love gifts (who doesn't?), I don't expect people to buy me presents. I don't feel anyone owes me but I thought it would be funny and I have a theory about the single girl that has recently been confirmed by Carrie Bradshaw. Single people get the shaft when it comes to celebrating them!

I am admitting to one of my guilty pleasures tonight (ok two...I am watching a tape of tonight's Big Brother episode while I type this). I love to watch Sex and the City. If you haven't watched it, I think that it is a great show about women's relationships with each other and their relationships with the men in their lives (obviously as the title implies). I wish it didn't have such blatant sexual overtones but its candor is appreciated. I LOVE watching the girls interact with each other. They do a great job of conveying the reality of a group of girlfriends.

Focus Rebecca.

Carrie (the main character in the show) is invited to a baby shower for a friend, a character played by Tatum O'Neal. Carrie gets to the party and is asked to remove her shoes, a beautiful pair of Minolo Blahniks, because they want to minimize the dirt and germs brought in to the children. Carrie tried to explain that her shoes were an important part of her outfit but in the end, she respected their request and added her beloved shoes to the pile. When it was time for her to go home, her shoes were gone! How does that happen? Did someone actually steal her shoes? Tatum's character lent her some hideous keds or something to borrow for her walk home assuming that her shoes would eventually show up. Her shoes never showed up and when she spoke to her host, she offered (eventually) to pay for her shoes. When Carrie told her how much the shoes cost ($485) she didn't feel like she should have to pay for Carrie's extravagent lifestyle. Here is how the conversation went:



"I shouldn't have to pay for your extravagant lifestyle choices"
Tatum's character.
"But you used to spend this kind of money all of
the time for shoes" Carrie responded.
"Well, that was before I had kids, before I had a
real life where you have to think about kids and mortgages..."
Carrie was stunned and left.
A few days later walking down the street with her
friend Charlotte:

" What happened to our friend? Why does she think her life
is more important than mine? Lifestyle choices??? I've done the
math...I have spent approximately$1200 celebrating her lifestyle
choices...engagement gift, wedding gift, three baby gifts...where's my gift???
Where is my 'Congratulations you didn't marry the wrong man' card?" Carrie
questioned.
"hmmm...maybe you're right...ooh! Birthdays!"
Charlotte exlaimed.
"Nope, married people still have birthdays" Carrie
responded.

Charlotte nodded in agreement.
Later that week, Carrie left a message on
Tatum's machine announcing that she was getting married...to herself and she was
registered at Minolo Blahnik.
Carrie received a replacement pair
of shoes in the mail (it was the only thing she registered for).
So, in celebration of single gals everywhere...I am sharing my wish list with all of you. You can find me on Amazon.com*. Shop away in celebration of me! If you aren't interested in buying me a gift for my birthday, I would love to receive "Congratulations on not marrying the wrong man!" gifts. Here's to turning 30 and not getting the gifts that others get when their lifestyle choices are celebrated! I want a Kitchenaid just like all the married girls!

*I actually created this list in an effort to remember books I wanted to read, movies I wanted to watch and evolved into a Christmas list for family. I promise!!! It's a great tool for remembering all of these things. I recommend it if you have an aging brain like mine.

12 comments:

Paula said...

Seriously--CONGRATULATIONS on not marrying the wrong man!!!!!!!! I think being married to the wrong guy would be way worse than being single. I could give you some examples, but you already know 'cuz we've talked about it before. I think you are a beautiful, talented, amazing woman and God isn't going to let you marry some moron who doesn't realize how great you really are. Maybe He wants you all to himself... or maybe He's got your perfect husband waiting just around the corner... either way, you are every bit as valuable to him, to me, and to your family and friends as any married person. Love you, friend!

RoniZee said...

I saw that episode, and thought it was great!

Thanks for being the Single Girl Shower guinea pig.

Rebecca said...

We'll see how it goes. If it's successful you can use it in December!

rebecca marie said...

i'm all for it. i completely get it and i think you are right.

also, i want you all to notice how wretchedly stained my carpets are because i REFUSE to make my friends self concious by asking them to remove their shoes. i'd rather have stained/ugly carpets and friends who feel welcome than pristine carpets and friends self concious about their stinky/ugly feet.

Alan said...

You mean I gotta buy you stuff?

Daddio

Alan said...

RM....if you think my feet are ugly and stinky you ought to get a load of my tennies. Rebecca made me throw away one pair that a little duct tape would have kept them going for another year or so. Just because they were like 20 some years old and free. Fortunately, I still have one pair left.

Sarah said...

CONGRATULATIONS ON NOT MARRYING THE WRONG MAN! You have done the right thing. :)

Happy 30th!

Tim said...

So is it a birthday or a shower, cause I don't want to go to no shower.

Rebecca said...

Oh, Sarah, I have well over a month until I'm 30! Let's not start throwing those out yet! :)I am still in my 20's for about 35 days.

Rebecca said...

Tim: Maybe it will be a little of both. A girl can dream, right?

Dad: You don't have to buy me gifts

Priscilla said...

What a fabulous idea! I think we need to celebrate more single people and yes, congratulations on not entering matrimony just for the sake of it - there's a great guy out there somewhere! love you rebecca! pris

breanna said...

the 90's called and told me to say this:


YOU GO GIRL!