Wednesday, May 30, 2007

On Being Sick

Last night at home group our lesson was on peace. We read scripture about having peace and being at peace. It wasn't until we were almost done with our closing prayer that I thought:

"We haven't even discussed the turmoil going on in the world. Turmoil caused by others and turmoil caused by us."

We thanked God for giving us peace but we didn't even bother praying for those who are fighting in a war, those being murdered who just want to live their lives with a little dignity, or ask forgiveness for not paying attention to what is going on in the world.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God. (Matt 5:9)

If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. (Romans 12:18)

I want to vomit thinking about what we are doing in the world or not doing for that matter. I want to vomit because it seems that Lindsay Lohan's DUI is more important than murder and war. I am sad. I don't have all of the answers, I don't have a solution to the political agendas of either side of the issue. All I know is I am a Christ follower and I don't think he would be in Iraq right now. I take that back. I know he is there right now but I think we'll find him comforting those who have lost loved ones or weeping over the destruction. I'm fairly confident that he isn't driving a tank or torturing people to get information out of them. I don't say all of this in an effort to be unsupportive of the troops who are over there doing what they are told. We need to WAKE UP AMERICA and tell our representatives that this insanity has got to end! How can we justify what we're doing? THIS IS REAL...not a movie out of Hollywood. These are real people and real lives. Not only have 655,000 Iraqi's died but 3,728 coalition deaths have also occured. I am guilty of passivity. I can't do it any more. I refuse to do it any longer. I don't know how I am going to make a difference - I think this is what they want us to think- but I'm going to try. I also think about the crisis in Darfur, AIDS crisis in Africa, and poverty in America. I'm sick over everything going on in the world that hasn't mattered enough for me to stand up against it and cry out in disgust. Well I'm disgusted and the first place I am going to hang out is at the feet of God and ask him for forgiveness and then ask what I can do. He has heard my cry. He promises me this much.

But he took note of their distress when he heard their cry. (Psalm 106:44)

2 comments:

Jason Hill said...

My stomach hurts too.

Sometimes I care more if there is a new the Office to watch than about what is happening in real lives.

I do know that God cares. And I'm convinced that His number one tool for expressing care/comfort/healing/peace on the broken earth is through us. We really are His hands and feet.

What a huge responsibility and a gigantic privilege.

Rebecca said...

Thanks Jason for the affirmation and reminder that we are to be His hands and feet.