Wednesday, June 20, 2007

tricky, very tricky

I'm in a really weird place. I don't know how to formulate my thoughts and don't know what to say. Maybe sooner than later I will be able to put some thoughts together to share. I have thoughts about faith, the world, my future...everything. Until then, I thought I'd say hello to the four of you who read this. HI!

I can tell you that I just finished reading Dead Man Walking by Sister Helen Prejean. What a phenomenal book! I have been processing how I view capital punishment. I think I always thought capital punishment didn't make sense but reading this text gave me words and reasons why I cannot support it. (This is one of the many things going through my head right now and why I feel like I could be going crazy! I am overwhelmed by everything I have been ignorant to in the world and I'm beginning to pay attention and I can't process all of it.)

SO...I'm medicating with a combination of reality TV and food! This is how I numb the pain! This way I don't have to think about all of the things I should be thinking about and discussing with the blogosphere. I think maybe I'm having the breakdown now that I thought would happen last year with turning 30.

4 comments:

Stacey Lawlis said...

Hi there -- I understand what you mean about capital punishment. I researched different forms of capital punishment when I was writing a play that had to do with CP. (It was basically a youth group Easter drama that asked the question, if Christ was crucified today, what would that look like?) From that point on, I could no longer support capital punishment, as a Christian especially.

Someone told me once that this meant I was a consistent pro-lifer. It was an interesting thought, how many people fight for the unborn, but not for the born-but-broken.

I know how much things can feel overwhelming. Been there. Am there. It's hard to have so much going on in your mind all at the same time. It's hard to strike a balance between running from it all, and trying to take it all on at once. Be blessed as you sort things out... know you're not the only one.

Aimee Jo said...

Hey Becca--
Sorry about your breakdown. I understand how that is, although I'm just not there in my life right now. I guess between moving to Uganda, having a baby, and working on missions stuff, my brain is full.
I love you and wish I could see you more often!

Leah said...

I still read you so that makes 5. I hope you can organize your thoughts well enough to not feel so overwhelmed, though I understand the feeling.

You are on the verge of greatness and Satan hates that so he is targetting you. Focus on your goals, or set some to begin with and work toward them.

Hope to see you some time this week.

Andrew Martin said...

Shesh! Thats a lot to think about. I can imagine your "brain lag". It's like you just took a big bite of "mental steak" that was a little on the dry side. It's gonna take a while to choke it down I think.

Good to see your blog too. Sorry I didn't see it sooner :)