Friday, August 10, 2007

Generation Me

I finished Generation Me a couple of weeks ago. The author is a generational psychologist and professor as well as a GenMe'er. The book gave me insight into some of my own tendencies and was very helpful in understanding the students I encounter on a daily basis. If you would like a good read on understanding people born from 1970-2000, I recommend this book. I want everyone to read it: those of us that fall in the category, people I work with, our parents, EVERYONE! She is funny and smart. Great book.

WARNING: If you're a big proponent of the "self-esteem movement" I don't think you're going to like this book. I do think you should still read it because she makes some fantastic points about the damage we're doing to children when we're more concerned about them feeling good over learning, behaving appropriately, and taking responsibility for their actions.

1 comment:

Tim said...

1970-2000? Hey! That's me! Maybe I should read it. Can I borrow yours?