Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Mecada anyone?

One of the first nights we were out for dinner (which we averaged eating at about 10pm every night for dinner). We had gone to a strip of "keyosks" at the edge of town. There were probably 9 or 10 different places to choose from. Each place was set up with plastic patio chairs and tables. There were several of the church members who were either out with us or came and met us for dinner (and to pick up the students who were staying with them). I was with a couple of the girls, Anna and Shannon. They were low on funds this night so I was going to buy their dinner. We saw the preacher, Leo, and his family eating. His kids were eating what looked kind of like a gyro. They looked good so we decided to go for it. They were called Shawermas. The girls ordered pollo (chicken) because its safe and you know what it is. I felt more adventurous and so I asked what his youngest son was eating. It kind of looked like shredded beef. "Mecada", Leo said. So, being the brave one, I ordered it. I was munching away on my dinner and Anna decided she wanted to know what it was. Jose, one of the guys from Barquisimeto, was sitting at the table with us, eating his cheeseburger and fries, answered Anna's question with a "BAH" sound. "Lamb?" Anna asked. He shook his head no and promptly added horns to the top of his head and quickly changed the sound to me much more reminiscent of a goat sound. We all broke out into laughter...I was eating goat meat!!!! Anna turned to me and said "are you ok with it" to which I replied "How would you feel if you just found out you were eating goat?". She replied with laughter and then took a bite. Both of the girls tried it. It really tasted fine. It was a bit tougher than beef. We took a picture with our Shawermas and Goat horns. Hopefully, I will have a good picture soon to add to the site! So, one of Rebecca's great stories from Venezuela is my consumption of goat. First Spanish lesson for all of you...MECADA=GOAT.

7 comments:

Tim said...

You think that's bad, imagine the many types of meat that could end up in your food in China. When I was there they had cats and dogs in cages in the same shops as all the other trinkets and souvenirs. I wouldn't be surprised if I have eaten some "domesticated" animals. I guess I'll never know, because don't ask, don't tell.

Rebecca said...

That is what I told Anna but she asked before I could convince her not to! I told her I didn't want to know. Oh well!

rebecca marie said...

Isn't it funny what's okay in some countries but not here? Or, what's okay here for that matter. Most of us think nothing of a piece of fried chicken, skin on, but balk at pork rinds. Go figger.

Mike Lewis said...

This makes me think of the scene in Demolition Man when Sylvester Stalone and co. go underground and there are all kinds of shops down there including a food stand and he orders a "burger."

They say, "Do you see any cows down here?" He realizes it is a rat burger... "best rat burger he's ever had."

Tim said...

Hey, people eat snails and fish eggs as a "delicacy".

We eat stale marshmallows covered in sugar during Easter (Peeps), deep fried everything, and even some of the organic health foods are questionable. I've got a friend who is a goat farmer in Salem making goat cheese. I'll ask him if he's eaten any goat.

Rebecca said...

You know I've always wondered who it was that decided what was appropriate eating and what was not. Who makes those decisions? There have been times when I am tearin' up some chicken that I think "Hmmmm...who decided it was ok to eat a chicken?". Then I start thinking about all of it and it grosses me out and I usually have to stop eating.

However, I had some Popeyes spicy chicken tenders yesterday for lunch and they were MMMM...MMMM...good!

rebecca marie said...

It is bizarre. Like I find mayonnaise to be shockingly horrid and offensive, but I'll eat a salmon roll covered in roe..... I'm a wackadoo.