Thursday, May 04, 2006

Akeelah and the Bee

Go see it. It's all the cheese that a PG movie can offer but good stuff. As a self-professed geek, it was inspiring and made me want to go home and read the dictionary (sorry mom for ever making fun of you). Also, I love the quote that was used throughout the movie. I actually read the book that it came out of but I don't remember reading this:

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are we to not be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others. ~ Marianne Williamson, A Return to Love

Chew on that for a minute. Are you afraid of the power that you hold as a child of God? Are you afraid of what you were made to be? I have thought about this all week. I find it to be true. If I truly embraced the power that I have as God's child, I would be capable of anything and there would be no fear of inadequacy. I know darkness, I am comfortable with my sin and I believe the lies that Satan tells me about myself. The choice to live in and embrace the reality that I am light and "powerful beyond measure" is frightening. I don't know how to do that. It is scary to give up what you know and live in a way that is different. That is powerful. That is the glory of God.

12 comments:

Jason Hill said...

I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed this movie. I've been wanting to see it, but was afraid that I was just being influenced by all the cross marketing at Starbucks and in the end I'd be disappointed. As far as cheese, the last movie I saw was 8 Below--I enjoy a nice helping of cheesy goodness.

Tim said...

I guess we're all geeks in our own ways. Maybe James knows something about reading dictionaries.

Rebecca said...

We are all geeks in our own ways. Jason: Paula's husband was hesitant to watch it with us but he said he really enjoyed it. I hadn't even been in a Starbucks until after I saw the movie. I had no idea that they were promoting it so heavily. I'm glad they are, I guess, although, their plug may be enough to keep people from seeing it. It is a movie worth promoting.

Does James read dictionaries for fun?

Paula said...

Eric and his dad like to sit around and play a game where one of them reads a word out of the dictionary and the other one tries to figure out what it means. I made fun of them for it one time, but it explains a lot about why my hubby is such a word-loving smarty-pants, and that was one of the things that attracted me to him in the first place. :)

Mike Lewis said...

Next you need to see The World's Fastest Indian. Great motorcycle movie!

breanna said...

hey! completely NOT related (but i wanted to get the word to you asap and i couldn't remember your email...anyways. mat kearney will be in town THIS wednesday for only ten bucks. wanna go???

Rebecca said...

YES!

rebecca marie said...

who is mat kearny and why wasn't i invited?

second... will i enjoy this movie when compared with spellbound?

i've netflixed it, but spellbound was nearly perfect...

Rebecca said...

You could come to the concert. He is a Christian artist (shh, don't tell Tabitha :)). He has an interesting sound. He does have a song or two out on the radio right now. I really like him. I played him last summer at our big park day. None of this helps I realize.

Second, I have not seen spellbound so I wouldn't be able to speak to that.

Mike Lewis said...

Haven't seen it yet, but Spellbound was recommended as a hilarious movie that everyone should see.

These Film Festival Flicks are getting better and better...see "Rock School".

Rebecca said...

I also hear Spellbound is funny.

Akeelah, not funny.

Also, glad you're alive Mike.

Tim said...

Just saw World's Fastest Indian last night. Awesome movie!