Friday, June 09, 2006

The First Step

The thought of grad school scares the dickens out of me. It's a big commitment. I am saying that I am more of an "expert" in this particular field and kind of obligate myself to this kind of work. I know I wouldn't have to do it forever but it would be more difficult to walk away from it. The idea of acquiring more student loans scares me and the thought of working for another college weirds me out a bit. I am comfortable with my current employer and I know my current environment. It seems strange to think about going elsewhere to work. The thought of starting over somewhere else makes me nervous rather than excited. These feelings may come from a place of insecurity (feeling ill-equppedto do my job well). Who knows, maybe with a master's degree in my field, I would have more bargaining power with them or I would feel like I can go anywhere and do my job wonderfully.

Yesterday I requested information about a graduate program in my field of work. I know it doesn't seem like any kind of commitment or big deal but I have been thinking about it for a couple of years and after must frustration with my current situation I thought it was time to do something about it. I love my work. If I have to work, this is what I want to do. However, in my current job, I feel like I lack the necessary skills to do what should be done for our students and I don't know where to start to make the appropriate changes and improvements. I have so many great ideas but I have no information to show that they would be successful or beneficial and have no idea how to execute them if I were given permission to do so. I also want to make a better life for myself and with graduate level education, I would have more options available to me.

Here's to the first step in making a change for the better!

12 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow, big step! I will keep you in prayer as you decide more.

What field exactly are you in (and wanting to pursue further)?

Paula said...

Um... is the graduate program in Seattle? If so, than I approve! :)

Seriously, though, I think it would be a good move for you. And you now I will pray for and support you in whatever you do because I love you!

Rebecca said...

Sarah: I work in student services. The field and emphasis placed on student services in higher education is growing rather quickly. We deal with housing, student activities, government, etc. I love it. At a christian institution, I get to do a lot of ministry. I spend many of my days talking to students about their struggles and what they want to do with their lives, giving advice or a listening ear about their relationships with friends and significant others. It's a great job but I would like to do it better.

Jean: It is not in Seattle. It's in Southern California but it's a program that would allow me to keep working while earning my degree. It's the same school that Billy got his PhD from (same program on a masters level). Thanks for your prayers and support!

Paula said...

I figured it might be that one. Do you think Cascade would help pay for it? Also, there's a job at Northwest University that would be perfect for you! :)

rebecca marie said...

while i am happy for you that you have taken this step, i have one thing to say.

you are NOT moving to southern california.

Rebecca said...

I wouldn't have to move to California. I can keep my job here in Portland. It would require at least one trip in the summer (maybe more) but most of the work is done over the internet. Yay for technology!

I'll have to check out the job at Northwest! There are a couple at Northwest College in Eugene as well that are tempting. I may make a proposal to Cascade about helping with funding. I doubt it would happen but you never know.

Tim said...

Very cool. I hope one of these things works out for you. Maybe you could fundraise or look for grants or something. (although fundraising is not very fun)

emilykaypeters said...

Graduate School is a big deal, but it will also help you learn more about your job. It takes a lot of patience and knowledge to do what you do.. and I praise you for it. Hey, let Ryan or I know if a job comes open at Cascade since we'll be moving there soon!!

rebecca marie said...

i miss real becca.

rebecca marie said...

i miss real becca.

rebecca marie said...

see? so much i miss you twice.

Rebecca said...

that is funny rm...did you see my newest post? :) I think I was writing it as you were leaving your comments.